The Artificial Intelligence for Decision Making Initiative (the Initiative) (Round 2) is now accepting applications.
The Initiative is a collaborative project between the Office of National Intelligence (ONI) and the Defence Science and Technology Group (DSTG), to develop Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) expertise and capability in areas of significant importance to the Australian defence and national security community.
Applications will close 7 June 2021 and it is expected up to 50 projects could be funded.
This program brings together funding from multiple Commonwealth agencies and is administered on a state basis. The Queensland Defence Science Alliance (QDSA) is the facilitation network for Queensland applicants.
Successful applicants will be provided with three-month funding of up to $20,000 per project and could also have the opportunity to be part of a national network focused on developing AI and ML technology.
There is also the opportunity for project prototypes to be considered for progression through the Defence Artificial Intelligence Centre (DAIC), or defence and university sectors.
Who Is Eligible?
Applications will be accepted from small teams or individuals who meet eligibility requirements.
The Initiative is open to Australian citizens or permanent residents who reside in Australia who are:
- Currently employed by an Australian-based company, university or research organisation; or
- Currently self or unemployed; or
- Currently enrolled at an Australian university in an undergraduate or post-graduate degree.
Please view the full eligibility criteria and funding information here.
The Challenge topics are:
- Multi-Modal Narrative Extraction
- Reasoning with Uncertainty in Temporal Knowledge
- Effective updating of deep learning models with limited new data
- Understanding Linguistic Feature Encoding in Transformers
- Word search over Wav2vec 2.0 neural representation
- AI Enabled Portfolio Design for Defence Capability Investment Projects
- Automatic parsing & annotation of semi-structured documents
- Goal-based agent learning and reasoning in uncertain environments
- Decision making in uncertain, dynamic and complex information environments
- Strategy formulation in open adversarial environments
For more detail on each of the 10 challenge statements, download the PDF here.
The following criteria will be used to assess proposals:
- Novelty of approach (30%)
- Feasibility of proposal (20%)
- Relevance to the problem (30%)
- Potential to transition the research / product into Defence and National Security capability (20%)
How to Apply for AI4DM
Applications will only be accepted via the Initiative’s Application Form here.
For view full details of the Artificial Intelligence for Decision Making Initiative funding, please click here.
QDSA Upcoming Events and Opportunities
QDSA has many upcoming events and opportunities, with more being added each week. Want to find out what is on the horizon? Check out our News section on our website here or subscribe to our e-newsletter here.
The Queensland Defence Science Alliance (QDSA) is a university-led initiative to grow and connect an agile Defence innovation ecosystem, leveraging Queensland’s strengths, to deliver trusted solutions to meet Defence requirements.